Friday 31 May 2013

Bridal Shower Cake

 A not so simple cake journey from start to finish


Cake making is such a therapeutic excercise for me. Saying that though, the journey involves a lot of YESSSSSSSSSSSSS and air punching, when something works out well and ARGHHHHHHHHHH's when it doesn't go as it should! One of the ARGHHH moments is during cutting out letters. Nevertheless, I do enjoy both these and will find any excuse to make cake!

                                  This cake was for a friend for her bridal shower.




I started off with covering a cake board in white fondant then used an imprint mat for the design, I set this aside to dry.


For the cake

Ingredients:
350g Flour
350g Butter
350g Caster sugar
6 eggs
2 teaspoons lemon Extract
6 teaspoons water

To Make:

1. Preheat oven to 1500C (this is for fan assisted ovens)
2. Sift flour 3 times and set aside (I use the McDougalls Supreme Sponge self-raising flour so I do not add any raising agent) 
3. Cream the butter until very soft, add the sugar and cream until very light and fluffy
4. Add the extract (I find lemon extract adds a unique taste to the sponge but you can add any flavour of choice)
5. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well
6. Add the water then gently fold in the sifted flour and pour batter into your prepared tin




Once cooked cool on a wire rake for a few minutes then turn out to cool completely



Level the cakes and let cool, then sandwich with filling of choice. I filled this with buttercream and strawberry jam.



I covered the cake in chocolate ganache (forgot to take pictures of these stages). The cake was then covered in light blue fondant. For the dress, I cut panels of white flower paste and attached to cake with water folding the pleats before attaching to cake. The bodice was cut free-hand and the holes punched out with a number 2 nozzle. For the belt, I used a fondant bead maker.

To finish off, I sprayed pearl Edible Lustre Spray over the whole cake and its done!




2 comments: